Railway Union Bowling Club

Railway Union Bowling Club was founded in 1904 and is the second oldest bowling club in Dublin. It was a founder member of the Irish Free State Bowling League (now the Bowling League of Ireland – BLI), which was instituted in 1927 to promote the game of bowls in the Republic of Ireland.

Railway Union’s bowling green is the oldest green currently in use in Ireland. Originally consisting of three rinks, it is now a six-rink full-size green playable in both directions. (North/South and East/West).

Railway Union Bowling Club was an all-male institution until 1974, when the ladies section was instituted. In 1977, the Ladies entered Division III of the Ladies Bowling League of Ireland and having won it several times, they competed in the senior leagues during the 1980s and 1990s. The club was also very well represented in junior and senior inter-association teams during this time, winning several LBLI junior and senior competitions and culminating in the selection of P Evans for the Irish international team. Another current member and founder of the Ladies Section, Teresa Devlin, has acted as President of the LBLI on two occasions – in 1992 and again in 2004.

Railway Union Bowling Club was founded in 1904 and is the second oldest bowling club in Dublin. It was a founder member of the Irish Free State Bowling League (now the Bowling League of Ireland – BLI), which was instituted in 1927 to promote the game of bowls in the Republic of Ireland. Railway Union’s…