Three of Victoria’s bowling stalwarts have been honoured for their contribution to the sport in their area with Life Membership of their respective districts.
At the recent Northern Districts Bowls Division (NDBD) Annual General Meeting, President Jean Fairchild presented Campbell with Life Membership of the Division.
Gwen has been a stalwart of bowls in the area for many years going back well before unification in 2011.
Having first joined the then NDLBA Committee as part of the then VLBA, Gwen still plays a vital role in bowls, now being a member of the NDBD Match Committee.
President Jean heaped praise on the work done by Gwen over the years and acknowledged a well-deserved award.
– Executive Committee 1986-87, 1987-88, 1988-89
– Delegate 1988-89
– Scribe 1984-85, 1991 – 2011
– Match Committee 1994-95, 1995-96
– Umpire Helper to Betty Bannam 1996- 2011
– Became an Umpire 1993
– Country Carnival 2005-06
– Coach 2000
– President 2002-03, 2003-04
– Pennant Recorder 2005 – 2011
– Midweek Pennant Recorder 2012-2014
– Midweek Match Committee 2016-present
– As well as participating and winning many events, both club, state, regional and championship week
Furthermore, at the recent Annual General Meeting of the Western Districts Bowls Division (WDBD) in Western Victoria, two long-serving members were granted Life Membership for their services to the Division, as well as to the sport as a collective.
Graeme was Secretary of the Port Fairy Bowls Club for many years and has been Secretary/Treasurer of the WDBD since it was formed in 2011.
Graeme has conducted many roles for WDBD, including:
– Saturday Pennant coordination, Match Draws & Publication of Fixture books
– Record keeping of all pennant results for Saturday pennant and in recent years, also for mid-week pennant.
– Distribution of results/fixtures to clubs and email list recipients prior to their evening meal
– Overseeing of player transfers and pennant forfeits
– Management of Division Championships for Men and Women
A recipient that requires little introduction, Margaret’s accolades already include:
– Order of Australia Medal
– Bowls Australia Hall of Fame member
– Life Member of her beloved Terang Bowls Club
Commencing bowls at a young age with her father, Margaret soon discovered that size 0 bowls were not for her. She graduated to her dad’s size 5 bowls and the rest, as they say, is history.
Margaret represented Australia on 184 occasions and also had the distinction of representing Victoria on the same number of occasions.
She has plied her trade in many places around the world including Scotland, England, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and New Zealand, as well as in her home country.
Margaret was also President of the VLBA in 2003 – 2005 and joined the WDBD Board in 2011.
Since that time she has held many positions including Chairman, Director, Chair of Match Committee and Chair of Selection.
Contribution by John Emerson – Regional Bowls Manager (Western Victoria)
Image (from left) – Gwen Campbell, Graeme Kershaw & Margaret Sumner